Thinking and writing

I have an active imagination and a never-ending stream of ideas, perceptions, emotions, memories, and insights as to how things are connected. Life in the present tense can be overwhelming...an onslaught of raw experience that I can't process as it comes at me. It's especially hard for me to keep it all together when I'm traveling, as I am now. If I can't find enough time and space to reflect on what's happening, I get cranky. If I get cranky for too long, I get sick.
how do I sort it all out? Two ways...thinking and writing. I think in grammatically-correct paragraphs, a skill honed from a lifetime of reading and from teaching writing. If I can't write down my thoughts, I still get a great benefit from the thinking time. But even better is to write. The therapeutic effects of writing are what drive novelists, bloggers, and Facebook contributors. Writing forces the mind to organize the chaotic mass of ricocheting neurons we carry in our skulls. Thinking is good; writing is better!

Comments

Popular Posts