Una Huna? What is This?

"The story that I was exposed to in our communities was that [my grandparents] led lives of trauma and crisis, so I thought we always were trauma and crisis. 

But we had some incredible childhoods as well; it's not all this poor, sad story. I think a lot of us relate to this other story and we need to change that. 

We need to correct it to this incredible history of our ancestors and what they were able to do to make Inuit Nunavut our own, to make our life what it was in the Arctic and share that narrative. 

The more we understand how brilliant our ancestors were, I think the stronger we become as individuals and as people and as a culture."

An interior from Una Huna? What Is This? illustrated by Amanda Sandland and Danny Christopher. (Submitted by Inhabit Media)

Comments

Popular Posts