1964--the year I was 14

1964 was notable in the USA for tremendous changes in national and international politics, popular music, social relations, and youth fashion. Gritty literature and movies that dared to show the way people really act and talk started to replace the squeaky-clean 1950s family stories.
During 1964, I moved from childhood into being a teenager. I was a year or two behind my classmates in this regard, being reluctant to give up my more optimistic child's view of the world for one that recognized the injustices and inequalities all around me. "Let me hang on to Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm one more year!" was my plea.
In the next few months, I'll be posting my memories and interpretations of 1964, the year I was 14. 

The Addams Family
As a little kid, I loved cowboy-and-Indian shows, but by my 14th year, I found TV boring and decided it was a waste of time to watch it. Nevertheless, I heard about this show, which people seemed to love. I thought it was a one-joke idea, but it stayed on the air for 2 years. Here's the joke: it's about "a blissfully macabre but extremely loving family." Talk about trying to blend family values with strange and outlandish characters!

Comments

Popular Posts